SCJR Forum
November 15, 2019, 07:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jetski 101 Class 1  (Read 1138 times)
cobia1742
Administrator

Email
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »

Over the next few weeks I plan to do a mini-series of classes (JETSKI 101) on things people should know about riding jetskis with SCJR. It’s more for the new folks but perhaps others may learn something too. This weeks mini-class is on FUEL. SCJR is all about riding rivers. Most rides are planned around a tank of fuel. As that's cutting it close...we carry extra fuel to insure we can get back in case something unexpected happens (like someone broke down…towing can use a lot more fuel, wind or current going back can use more fuel, a detour to get around a thunderstorm, or we just decide to go a little further than planned). Before a ride, the ride leader will tell everyone the expected round trip miles for that trip. Everyone should have a pretty good idea how many miles per gallon (mpg) of gas your ski gets. With that knowledge, you should know how much fuel you will need for a trip (and how much extra fuel you should carry). I ride a 2011 FXHO with the 1800 engine. From experience I know if I’m easy on the throttle I can get 6 mpg. On a 90 mile round trip ride I will consume my whole tank of fuel (so I would carry 5 extra gallons of fuel as a backup). Older FXHO’s with the 1100 engine get around 8 mpg. Likewise supercharged (or turbo charged) engines will get less mpg. My old Honda consistently got 8 mpg if I could stay out of the turbo mode. Everyone should know how many mpg your skis gets so you can bring the correct amount of fuel for a ride. Still not sure how to do that? After the next ride get the actual miles traveled from the ride leader. When you fill your ski note the gallons you consumed. Say you rode 80 miles and consumed 14 gallons of fuel. 80 miles divided by 14 gallons is 5.7 mpg. Easy!
 We travel to a lot of remote area’s. It’s important you know how much fuel to carry on a ride. I hope you found this info helpful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: