SCJR Forum
October 23, 2017, 06:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peace River Canoe Campout in late March  (Read 37898 times)
cobia1742
Administrator

Email
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

This will be a canoe trip on the Peace River from Zolfo Springs to Gardner (everyone will need to provide their own canoe). I figure we'll do this trip in late March so the water is warmer to make finding sharks teeth and other artifacts easier (artifact hunting requires a lot of wading/swimming). We should wait to make the decision on which weekend until we get closer to insure we pick a weekend with good weather.

Current plan:
We'll meet at Pioneer Park (in Zolfo Springs) Friday night and camp at the park that night. Transfer a couple cars to the take out point that night or early the next AM. Break camp and head down river around 9 AM Saturday. If we paddle about 10 miles (~1/2 way) we should be able to setup camp around noon to 2 pm (depending on how quick we get on the water that AM) leaving us plenty of time to look for fossils and hang out around the campsite. Then a short paddle Sunday and be off the water around noon. 

I'll provide maps and more detailed info to interested parties as we get closer.
Rowdy_Gator
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Captain Bill, I think you also have to pay a $5.00 permit fee for fossil hunting.  Also, they rent canoes and there is a place near by you can rent from.  There is also restrictions on the size shovel you can use to dig in the river.  http://www.peacerivercampground.com/fosssil_hunting%20detail.htm

Yamaha 2003 FX Cruiser
cobia1742
Administrator

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »

Lol...I never got a "permit" and never used a big shovel either. I use a small sifter and a trowel. Is the permit for digging at the campground (we will not be anywhere near the campground). Cool pic's though...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: